Scott Stewart’s latest supernatural action thriller “Legion” is bound to stir up some controversy with its horror-driven portrayal of the Apocalypse in which an upset God loses faith in Mankind and thus unleashes “evil angels” and the “dogs of heaven” to destroy all living things. “I don’t think it is going to be on the Vatican must-see list, but it is thought provoking,” the film’s star Dennis Quaid told Tarts. “It’s more Old Testament than New Testament with God’s wrath and all that.” The film shows graphic images like an innocent man exploding while tied to a cross and murderous people possessed not by demons, but by angels. Not surprisingly, fellow star Tyrese Gibson was quick to disassociate his personal opinion from the film’s heavy thematic issues. “I think the beauty of Christianity, or any religion, is that when you read the Bible, we can read the same exact words, but we’re going to walk away with different interpretations of the same words,” he said. “This is Scott Stewart’s interpretation of the way he sees the world and the way he sees certain verses in the Bible. It’s his opinion, he’s entitled to it. I was just happy to help him bring that vision to life.”
The way prepared by His Herald the 'star', Maitreya, the World Teacher, has given His first interview on American television. Millions have heard Him speak both on TV and the internet.
We could be less than a year away from the launch of Tiangong-1, China's first space laboratory. We've been expecting this launch for years, but relatively little is still known about this mission. We have grown used to seeing computer-generated artwork of this small, stubby laboratory module, not much larger than the Shenzhou crew-carrying spacecraft that will dock with it. China Central Television has also broadcast short video clips showing the module undergoing assembly, and periodically, a short news report on the mission pops up in the Chinese media. Beyond this, not much is really known about Tiangong. We don't even know if the launch will take place this year or in 2011. The Chinese themselves probably don't know for sure at this stage.
The HAARP Induction Magnetometer Jan 11th
-Haiti is not an earthquake prone area
-The earthquakes epicenter was only 10 miles from the Haitian capital
-Haiti is 6 weeks away from national elections
-Haiti has a long anti-NWO, anti-globalist history (Click here for details)
-The day before the Earthquake, the Defense Information Systems Agency was in Haiti running drills of providing natural disaster relief (Click here for details) Just like on 9/11, and 7/7 when the government was "coincidentally" running drills for the exact event that happened.
-The Heritage Foundation think-tank responded within hours of the earthquake with a demand that the US should use this crisis to it's advantage.
-The US Military "aid" is looking more like US Military "occupation" as they work much more on "maintaining security" than actually getting aid to the Haitian people
-Watch the videos below for much more detail on all of this:
Also see the following:
Ring Of Fire Eclipse Gives Grave Warning To World
Watch Jesse Ventura's HAARP Conspiracy Show
Proof the 2008 China Earthquake was caused by HAARP
“The world is very different now. For man holds in his mortal hands the power to abolish all forms of human poverty and all forms of human life.”
John F. Kennedy (Inaugural Address, January 20, 1961)
Forty-nine years ago, on this very date, the 35th President of the
As war continues to rage around our Planet Earth, and with the prospect of greater ones occurring growing more certain by the day, one would be hard pressed not to believe that the destiny of our race is one of continued war and chaos expanding to such an extent that Kennedy’s warning of our abolishing all forms of human life seems all but certain.
So dangerous have wars become that aside from their potential to extinguish all human life, we have also begun exterminating other forms of life on this Planet on such an unprecedented scale that a single mind cannot even begin to comprehend its full and horrible consequences, yet alone find a way back from the abyss we are all fast approaching.
The leaders of this World, in all of their forms, who are turned to by billions to protect them from the ravages of war, economic collapse, catastrophic Earth changes, food shortages and weather chaos, seem to have no answers and have become so separated from the people they rule one cannot help but feel they have been totally and completely abandoned.
And the truth of this is…You Have! But not for any reason that you think you know, but rather for truths that are known yet are being kept hidden from you. Why are they being kept from you? The answer is simple, because if you knew the truth it is believed by your leaders that you could not function, and if you aren’t able to function you aren’t able to protect them. And how are you protecting them? Another simple answer; you are working, living and dying to support their futures, not your own!
In this Great Game you are nothing but a pawn to be used, moved and sacrificed by those whom you will never know and for purposes you will not accept the truth of. So rigged is this game against you that in order for you to be awakened to the truth, you must first be educated on how brainwashed and manipulated you have become in the first place. Which the vast majority of you will never do because the truth stands opposed to everything you’ve ever been told to believe, but not against what you can see with your own eyes.
One example for you to see the truth of these words for yourself is in understanding pyramids, which were built by our most ancient of ancestors on the continents of North America, Central America, South America, Europe, Africa,
As to who built these thousands of pyramids and why seemingly ‘unconnected’ peoples the World over ‘suddenly’ began constructing them all at the same time you have NEVER, and WILL NEVER, be told. Instead you are given ‘theories’ about the Egyptian and, maybe, Mayan ones too, composed of so many contradictions as to be basically unlearnable. Most of you, no doubt, were taught that the Egyptian pyramids were built by slaves, but new research is showing that they were built by free men, in just one of thousands of these contradictions.
Now let me ask you a simple question: Which ‘rings’ more true: 1.) Thousands of years ago, human beings all over the World suddenly, and without any contact with each other, decided to radically change their societies and economies and instead of devoting their energies to growing food or making technological advancements decided instead to build gigantic pyramids. –Or- 2.) Thousands of years ago our ancient ancestors had technology currently unknown to us and in knowing their World was about to be destroyed devoted their remaining resources and energies into building structures they knew could survive whatever catastrophe was befalling them so our World today would prepare, once again, to defend our human race from extinction.
If the first scenario rings true with you I can assure you that there is nothing relating to the real truth of our World you can, or will, accept. Your conditioning is too strong to be broken, your masters have won.
If, on the other hand, your most basic common sense tells you that the only logical way for thousands of pyramids to have been built all around the World in the first place they had to have been constructed by a human race all knowing each other and for a specific purpose, then congratulations! You’ve officially become a rebel because you don’t believe what you’ve told to believe, and don’t forget that makes you dangerous too.
Too how dangerous you’ve become to the established order is not just knowing the truth of why these pyramids were built, but the warning they are giving us…TODAY!
And no greater warning have they given us than in the 11 minute “Ring of Fire” Annular Eclipse of this past week that was the longest one of this Millennium and according to the ancients presages the final Great Catastrophes of our present Age to come.
The growing chaos on our Earth during the ending of this age is, also, being matched by that occurring in the heavens, where from the Mysterious Giant Ribbon recently discovered at the edge of our Solar System, to the Strange Comet being ‘shadowed’ by an ‘unknown’ object, to so many other phenomena being reported that one can clearly see, and as the ancients warned, “what was before will be no more.”
At this point in time you only have one question to ask yourself, “Do I want to survive?” If your answer is yes (and it should be) then your next question is if you are prepared to go through all of this alone. If you believe you can, I can only tell you that you are being beyond foolish, you will not survive. That is not a prediction that is a FACT.And before you can even think of surviving you must have the one most important thing anyone needs, INFORMATION. If you don’t have information of what has happened, what is happening, and what could possibly happen, then your chances of survival are none.
A short [introduction] here.
A short [chronology] here.
For Claudia George, who said,
"Write a history of everything."
$Revision: 22.52 $
Contents of this chapter: [A Reconstruction] [A Synopsis] [Contents and Resources] [Who I am] [Why this Text is Presented] [What Others Say] [New Findings] [Change Log] [To Do Yet] [Endnotes]
".. a large planet stood above the North Pole
for a very long time."
That fact is certain; and that is what this site is about.
The planet Saturn moved on a wildly elliptical path around the Sun in the remote past, entering the Solar System at very long intervals. Some time in the last 6 to 3 million years, perhaps after passing close to Jupiter, Saturn was placed in a much closer orbit around the Sun, very near Earth. From about 5800 BC, Saturn captured and held the Earth in a sub-polar position until 3100 BC, when Earth broke away.
"The evidence of myth which points to Saturn having once occupied a position above Earth's north polar regions is voluminous. There is not a race on Earth that has not preserved at least one account which states as much. According to this evidence, Saturn occupied a central position in the north celestial regions."
"It rotated, and rotated widely; but, other than that, it was immovable. It did not rise, it did not set. It merely became brighter and more glorious each night as the Sun set. This state of affairs seems to have lasted for ages. It is the one single dictum of the ancients from which all other beliefs are derived."
-- Dwardu Cardona (1982)
What is most important about all this is the cultural and psychological reaction of the people of Earth to these events. The last 1000 years of this period (4200 BC to 3100 BC) was remembered as the "Age of the Gods" and subsequent human history has been a singular effort to regain the Paradise of that time. This period was followed by a series of adjustments in planetary orbits, many of which also had significant effects on Earth and on human history.
Humans changed after Paradise closed -- not just the rapid changes to what we would call civilization, but also the gradual achievement of a subjective consciousness. The response to this event determined how we became fully human. To say it would have happened anyway does not hold up. There could have been any number of other outcomes.
This site is a collation of the efforts of many other people to recoup the past -- and a restatement of that work. Most of the information has been published previously. In an attempt to put it all together, I am providing a narrative text of their findings and adding what I feel is missing: a chronology, some mechanics, and an extrapolation of events not recognized by some researchers.
I collected available material and put it in order, and, when it no longer made sense, started writing. Sometimes writing corrected defects in the 'theory,' sometimes I had flashes of insight, sometimes I never found a solution. But overall, the construction of a cohesive narrative resolved every significant outstanding 'problem' which other researchers had run into, although at times it took five years to find a solution.
I did not include sources for most of the information in this text since all I am doing is remapping areas already explored by others and all of it is readily available, although scattered over many sites and books.
I should warn that the subject matter here is not any sort of accepted science narrative. It is a cosmology based on a set of reasonable starting postulates. The postulates, like those of any cosmology, are untestable. However, the established theories of physics can be applied to these and this results in an amazing concordance of information in agreement with the initial postulates, historical recollections, and observable facts. It is this which confers validity on the explication pursued here. It suggests sensible answers to questions about the history of mankind, the Earth, the Solar System, and the Universe which remain completely unanswered by the traditional 'handed-down wisdom.' The sum total of the conclusions derived here goes much further to constitute a cohesive 'world-view' than any traditional opinions and narratives have done.
This cosmology can explain everything from the geology of the Earth to the astrophysics of the Solar system. Other people have expanded on separate facets extensively. My main interest has been to trace the origins of contemporary cultural practices. Of greatest importance, from my point of view, is that a Saturnian cosmology provides an explanation of the actions and thoughts of our ancestors and insight into our contemporary behaviour and thinking. My first concern was to provide a chronology and a mechanics (see Appendices A and B). The connecting narrative came next. [note 1]
Let me state at the outset that I have no particular axe to grind, no politics to promote, this is not a 'creationist's young earth' thesis, I do not hold to extraterrestrial interventions, I have no religious or theistic proposals to make, nor do I put stock in the 'elohim' of the Old Testament. I'll remain within accepted physics -- I will not propose new solutions to gravity or offer new 'forces' for you to consider, or have planets arbitrarily leave their orbits. And I'll use accepted dates and dating.
I started this essay in late 2001. I never meant to write as much as I did, but people asked, "So what came before 4200 BC?" That alone resulted in 4 additional chapters. And then there were minor questions on items I had never paid much attention to, like "Why was Sirius red in antiquity?", "What about the two latitudes of Babylon?", "What about the return of ten degrees promised by Isaiah to King Hezekiah?" And then, as noted directly below, I started to look at Mesoamerica.
After completing most of the narative described in these pages in March of 2006, I came across the "Books of the Chilam Balam Of Chumayel" of the Yucatan Maya which were written shortly after the invasion by the Spanish. These were an attempt to secretly keep ancient myths and tales alive.
I was astounded to find among the texts a step-by-step rendition of the course of the 'creation of the world' dating back to long before 3100 BC, followed by an accounting of other catastrophic events. The events are described in the same detail as the parallel Egyptian and Mesopotamian 'legends' but the "Chilam Balam" provided dates which turned out to be congruent with what had already been extracted from sources in the eastern Mediterranean by others. An analysis is listed in a Chapter 16, "The Chilam Balam." I have started to include references to the "Chilam Balam" within the main text.
In December 2007 I started looking at Olmec and other Mesoamerican sites and the iconography from the Olmec era. Again, I was amazed that celestial events of the 7th century BC, already extracted and known from Middle Eastern sources, were clearly referenced both in the horizon alignments of the important ceremonial centers and in the iconography which came to dominate the graphic representations and all of the religious concerns of Mesoamerica and especially the later Maya.
The chapters of this site will propose that the biology of our planet, our culture, our psychology, and our very existence, are the result of a series of incidents arising from the interaction between Earth and other planets within the Solar System, most notably Saturn.
The biology of Earth is such a complete accident and so utterly unlikely that it will not likely to have ever been duplicated anywhere, at any time, among the billions of other star systems. All of it, especially the rise of complex species since the Cambrian Period, 560 million years ago, can be attributed to a series of cataclysmic plasma strikes by Saturn.
We survived the last externally induced extinction events which removed eight competing sub-species over the course of the last three million years. Our only contribution to our distinction from other animals was the invention, 40,000 years ago, of language and its subsequent cultural transmission. That set the stage for further development of our 'humanity,' much later on and much closer to our time.
At one time, and from its genesis, Earth was a planet in orbit around Saturn, a brown dwarf star. At about the time of the Cambrian, the Saturnian System intersected with the Solar System. Saturn swept around the Sun, and back into deep space, to return at regular 26 to 27 million year intervals. Over the course of time, some of the satellites (planets) of Saturn were wrenched from their orbit around Saturn to end up revolving around the Sun instead. The Earth likely became a Solar System planet at the end of the Permian, 250 million years ago.
Over the next 250 million years Saturn kept entering the Solar System regularly to disturb its lost satellites now circling the Sun. At about 10 million years ago Saturn had a run-in with Jupiter, a Solar System planet orbiting the Sun at a distance probably somewhat less than the Earth's orbit today. The orbital period of Saturn was significantly reduced as a result.
During this last 10 million year period (and perhaps earlier) Saturn started scavenging its lost satellites, and perhaps Solar System planets, all in orbits close to the Sun. The possibility of a 'captured' planet again orbiting Saturn at its equator is virtually nill. Instead, the scavenged planets ended up in suprapolar and subpolar locations, the only locations which are dynamically stable, balancing gravitational attraction against electrical repulsion.
The stack of planets was seen by humans and recorded in the shapes of artifacts in the Paleolithic of about two million years ago, and as carved images in the Upper Paleolithic, from 30,000 BC, and by the hundreds of millions during the early Neolithic, 7000 to 3000 BC. At about 11,000 or 10,000 BC, the Earth also was captured, at first at the equatorial level of Saturn, causing months of darkness on Earth. The periods of darkness are recognized by many of the world's creation myths, and were recorded in the illustrated glyphic books of Mesoamerica, references to which are made in Colonial period annals and documents. Climatalogically the period is identified as the Younger Dryas, when for some 1500 years Earth got as cold as it ever was.
Over the next 5000 years the orbit of Earth was progressively depressed and, between about 6000 BC and 3100 BC, Earth became part of a strange configuration of stacked planets, a condition which provided long summers and a mild climate in the northern hemisphere. Planets, including the giant Saturn, stood above the pole and close to Earth (but measured in millions of miles) and were taken by humans to be the Gods who supported them and for whose benefit they labored at agriculture and conducted trade.
In about 4200 BC Saturn dropped its coma (which had obscured Saturn and its companion planets), and in effect went nova. In a mass expulsion Saturn produced its rings and a new satellite, Venus, and Saturn lit up like a sun. To the humans of Earth, who had not clearly seen the Sun for thousands of years because of the enclosing plasmasphere of Saturn, this was the start of creation, the start of time, and the first showing of 'the land' and its resident Gods, the satellites of Saturn. Saturn was called "the sun."
In 3147 BC this configuration broke apart, with the large planets moving far away from the Sun, and the smaller planets assigned to a series of overlapping 'inner' orbits. The breakup produced a stupendous flood of the waters which had been held at the north pole by the gravitational attraction of Saturn for 3000 years. Flood stories are ubiquitous, found in over 500 independent 'myths' -- all with the same coherent details. The survivors included people far inland, those living already on mountain slopes, and certainly the people of the Nile delta and northern Mesopotamia. The only recourse to a livelihood for many of the survivors was agriculture, which sprang up simultaneously in six unconnected regions of Earth.
The breakup was caused by Jupiter, which had circled the Sun as an inner planet up to that time. Jupiter was subsequently seen receding in the skies, surrounded by a coma three times the diameter of the Moon. From below its south pole extended a gigantic plasma outpouring, making it additionally look like a mountain. Above the planet were much smaller horn-like extensions. Looking like a person in a mantle, Jupiter was taken as the new God, the "younger." Jupiter retained its massive lower outpouring until it entered the asteroid belt in about 2950 BC, after which the coma changed its shape.
Soon after 3050 BC, Mars (and Mercury) appeared near Earth for about 300 years. Mars apparently overrode the Earth's orbit and was repeatedly brought into plasma contact with Earth, looking like a squat mountain which circled the Earth's polar region -- the visual effect of the rotation of the Earth. Mars was now held to be the God in charge of Earth, Horus of the Egyptians.
This lasted to about 2700 BC or 2750 BC, after which the regular visits of Mars ended, its orbit having been repeatedly changed through the interactions with Earth. It is in the next century that people throughout the world start building pyramids in imitation of the mountain of Mars, almost simultaneously everywhere -- in Egypt, Mesopotamia, England, China, and in the Andies of South America.
We have recorded histories of all these events, especially in Mesoamerica. There are accurate descriptions of the rings and the number of satellites of Saturn, the bands and satellites of Jupiter, and the scarred surface and satellites of Mars, all dating from remote antiquity and spanning cultures worldwide. The Egyptians produced images of the original configuration of Saturn and its planets, and have a record of early close passes by Mars. Mesopotamians also produced images of the planets, graphically showing, for example, all the satellites of Jupiter. The Maya (from Olmec sources) have an undated record of the planetary interactions from long before 3100 BC, and a dated record of later events which matches what can be gleaned from Eastern Mediterranean sources. India has similar recollections of the events extending over millions of lines of poetry. The Quiche Maya "Popol Vu" and pages of the Maya "Books of the Chilam Balam" makes casual references to the period of 7000 years ago. One page of the "Chilam Balam" seems to record the Saturnian planets as seen 17,000 years ago.
Over the next 2500 years (3100 BC to 685 BC) the inner planets interfere with Earth at intervals, although very infrequently. There were three major incidents. The damage generally was localized in latitude although, for example, the continuous lightning strike of ca 1500 BC encircled the globe.
As recalled by nearly all peoples, on all the continents, the most terrifying incident was one which happened in 2349 BC, when an alignment with Venus (20 million miles away), produced an Earth shock in the northern hemisphere, tilting the Earth's axis away from the Sun temporarily, and tilting up the equatorial rings of the Earth. This was followed almost immediately by a massive plasmoid lightning strike from Venus which hit the rings almost broadside, followed somewhat later by lesser bolts, recorded in Mesoamerica and China. [note 2]
The electrical contact with Venus lasted 2 1/2 days. It turned the equatorial rings blood red and caused the destruction of the rings. Lightning bolts arced over from the Earth's lower equatorial plasma toroid (the Van Allen belt). The sky bled for three days, and all but a single ring disappeared. The cleared southern skies, previously obscured by the Earth's rings, revealed a multitude of stars for the first time, most notably the Pleiades.
The equatorial plasma toroid would have also arced over to the surface of Earth, producing months of torrential hurricanes. To humanity, the sea in the south sky had collapsed to Earth, and the event was almost everywhere understood as a second flood of stupendous proportion. The Bible recalls this event as the flood of Noah. But, to most peoples, the blood seen in the sky suggested the wholesale slaughter of humanity, and any number of raging goddesses or dragons were assigned to this event in mythology worldwide -- Kali, Tiamat, Anath, Sekhmet, Hathor. The event itself remains commemorated as the "Day of the Dead," and is almost universally associated with the culmination of the Pleiades in autumn. Echos of the fall of the rings and the surrounding circumstances continue to resound to this day in mythology and, to this day, in the narratives and philosophies of many religions. Many nations also date the start of all sensible history from this event.
Eight hundred years later, in 1492 BC, Venus again made electrical contact with Earth, causing a crushing repulsive blow in the south Pacific. The Pacific islands were wiped clean of any trace of humanity, except for the petroglyphs carved on every island thousands of years earlier. Coastal South America and Central America were inundated with water, leaving sea-water traces in lakes high in the Andies, and possibly causing a sudden rise in the coastal range of the Andies by thousands of feet. The blow was followed by an electrical arc traveling through the Pacific, the Indian Ocean, part of India, and, as the Earth's axis angled toward the Sun, following a path of increasingly higher latitude into the Mediterranean. Moses made his escape from Egypt during the turmoil. The event is recalled in mythology as the attack of the monster Typhon who is struck down by Zeus. The major result of the contact was a 20 percent increase in the orbit of the Earth -- the year went from 273 days to 360 days.
Another 700 years later (806 BC to 686 BC) it was Mars and Mercury which closed in on Earth with repeated electrical arc contacts at 15 year intervals, a major Earth shock in 747 BC, and a minor shock in 686 BC. The destruction of the 8th and 7th century BC was spread over areas in from central Asia to the western Mediterranean measuring more than 600 miles from end to end, and was much more extensive than that of any earthquake. Hilltop citadels, from the Persian plateau to Greece, were destroyed by lightning strikes and quake-like convulsions, and buried under yards of carbonized material mixed with soil. These simultaneous destructions have been noted in the archaeological record. Some six incidents have been dated, often many hundreds of years apart. Bolsena (Volsinii), a city in Italy, was obliterated by a lightning bolt measuring more than 5 miles in diameter, if we are to believe Pliny, who presents this from much older Etruscan sources. Mars became the next sky God and set a tone for human conduct -- lasting to this day.
The movement of tribes away from devastated areas into new regions, after about 1500 BC, resulted in an expansion of our imagination as a way of coping with the changes. Before this time there was little need to cope with change. The people of Egypt and Mesopotamia (for whom we have records) had remained stagnant in the way of life of their forbears for thousands upon thousands of years. The development of subjective consciousness (as opposed to mere consciousness) was a cultural innovation and was a major change which made us human. Subjective consciousness came to be taught to children by parents, exactly like language. The teaching of subjective consciousness (like the teaching of language) can be readily observed today. [note 3]
The change in humanity, however, which suddenly brought people up to our current expectations, happened subsequent to events of the seventh century BC. In 685 BC Venus, along with Mercury, blazed up as bright as the Sun and they were seen in the daytime skies with the Sun for forty days starting on June 22. The event was probably an extraordinary plasma output by the Sun. [note 4]
In July of 685 BC, Jupiter also flared up in response to the Sun's increased output of plasma, and on July 14 sent a return lightning stroke, a plasmoid bolt, headed for the Sun. It arrived on July 25th. The plasmoid, which was seen passing by Earth at a distance of 30 million miles, was seen in foreshortened form by Europe and Asia, and is depicted in sculptures and illustrations and even on coins. The Mediterranean nations considered that Venus was struck -- the bolt from Zeus which toppled Phaethon from the Sun's chariot. Mesoamerica saw the plasmoid at full length, and depicted it correspondingly differently. Their understanding was that Mars was struck.
As experienced by Earth, the after-effects of the 40 days of extreme solar activity, was a rotation of the dome of the stars, the relocation of the polar axis from Ursa Major to near Ursa Minor, and the delay of spring by some 15 days. A new equinox was suddenly established. The aphelion of the Earth's orbit (the location furthest from the Sun) changed, and 120 years of interference by Mars (and Mercury) came to a sudden halt. It appeared to many that God, Jupiter, the historical supreme God of antiquity, had saved mankind from destruction. The change in aphelion had resulted in a cessation of further interactions with Mars. In 670 BC the Earth's orbit became nearly circular (for unknown reasons), the Earth was in fact completely removed from any future interference by any of the inner planets.
Within 100 years of this event, we see the simultaneous rise of philosophical studies, much as we understand them today, in China, India, and Mesopotamia -- well before there was any cultural transmission between these areas. It had appeared to all as if a far greater power, beyond the dome of the stars, had moved the stars and planets. The causes for natural phenomena were now sought elsewhere than in the whims of the old planetary Gods.
With the realization of the existence of a power beyond the planets and stars, we also see the sudden rise of all the modern religions within the span of 100 years -- Taoism and Confucianism in China, Buddhism and Jainism in India with its subsequent influence on Hinduism, Zoroasterianism (Mazdaism) in Persia and its influence on Judaism, Mithraism, Christianity, and eventually on Islam. Similar changes are attested to in Mesoamerica, dating from shortly after 600 BC.
Could all this really have happened? Religions have attempted to explain all of it, initially as narrations of the observed events, eventually as metaphors of spiritual states. Science, on the other hand, has spent the last few hundred years negating that anything happened at all. But a look at the histories, what we call myths, of people from regions as diverse as Mesopotamia and Mesoamerica will reveal that they are in complete agreement with each other. Add to these the various 'myths' of the people of China, India, South America, Greece, and thousands of others, and a consistent picture of the past emerges.
Or fly over the regions of, for example, the western United States, and you will soon be convinced that the waves of hills, the conical dumps of windborn soil, the distorted mountains, and the widely varied landscape cannot possibly be the result of eons of slow movement and metamorphosis of the Earth's crust. The surface of Earth appears to have been battered and wracked convulsively, and recently.
Except for geology, which I will touch on only briefly, the remaining chapters will fill in the details and broaden the scope of all these events, ending in Chapter 20. The last few chapters present an excursion into the site plans and iconography of Mesoamerica from about 2000 BC. In these last chapters you will find that the more closely detailed findings from Mesoamerica will match and exceed the information available from the Eastern Mediterranean.
Contents and Resources
I write mostly from memory and do not always get things right. If you find errors, let me know. Questions and differing interpretations are also welcomed. I type in a hurry and my word editor is way behind. My e-mail address can be found at the bottom of this page. Tell me which chapter (and revision number) you are reading. But even the mention of a single word will help. I can find the use (or misspelling) of a single word among the 670,000 words of these texts within a second.
The [Table of Contents] outlines the narrative and lists the sub-headings within each chapter. There are twenty chapters, three appendices, and some additional files.
The narrative text can be searched for key words (See the Table of Contents).
There is a list of books and links pertaining to the Saturnian Theories.
This site also (currently) includes a collection of 4800 mirrored files lifted from the web and sorted into 140 topics. The collection can be searched with a search script located at the Table of Contents.
Who I am
I am a visual artist (sculpture, installations), living in Chicago where I teach photography. I have a background in electrical engineering, public administration, programming, and cinematography, and a curiosity dating back a lifetime. More information is available at my website [http://jnocook.net].
Why this text is presented on the internet
There is a lack of a comprehensive narrative of events among the catastrophic literature. This is a void I have been attempting to fill over the last few years, initially for my own benefit. The advantage of a web site is that it is completely malleable -- it can be easily changed, added to, corrected, and expanded, while simultaneously making the information available. The alternative of publishing in book form would delay the availability, limit distribution to a select few, and allow no updates. Also, by going public, I am forced to complete the investigation and am under pressure to make all of it coherent. Amazingly, additional details keep coming forward as the edits continue. The 'Change Log,' further below, tallies the recent additions and changes.
What Others Say
A few comments from readers, from infrequent emails.
- "Reading your Saturnian stuff.. awesome." -- e boettger
- "I am overwhelmed by the scale and breath of your ideas and writings." -- d levie
- ".. absolutely revolutionary" -- c george
- "very impressive and inspiring." -- w radtke
- "I am very impressed with your scholarship and the way you have synthesized various areas." -- d smith
- "Love your site, I've read everything on it that I could.." -- j robillard
- "Found it quite profound... a big part of what I am looking for." -- a flanagan
- "fantastic.. You have pulled together so many things.." -- j brookes
- "my appreciation at the sterling work you have done." -- s borruso
- "absolutely facsinating and a masterpiece" -- r houston
- "I was AMAZED. It is awesome" -- h george
- "Fantastic site.. sweeping in scope.. " -- EU blog fan
- "a feeling .. of finally coming home" -- h pluut
- "I am totally amazed and awed" -- m signatur
- "I admire your extensive and expansive research." -- h postma
- "Your level of effort, annotation, and scholarship on your web site is actually a far cry better than some of the so-called "legitimate" research out there. It is a shame more people cannot see what is staring them in the face." -- d perkins
- "The scenario you have laid out answers many questions I have had for years and the way you present it is very comprehensible." -- d de santis
- "This is truly an eye opener." -- j dionne
- "if you are right then everything we know so far about human history is wrong" -- r boerman
- "..reads like one of those can't-put-it-down pageturners." -- j smith
Highlights of New Findings
I checked and verified many theories which had been proposed by others about the past. Below I have listed new findings which came out of the attempt to establish a chronology and develop a rational set of mechanics for planetary interactions. Many of these findings have remained unknown (or obscured) to other investigators. Other items listed below are well established, but tend to be avoided or negated by researchers of the catastrophic past.
I am offering this list for those readers who are already familiar with the major elements of the catastrophic literature of Velikovsky and Talbott. If this is all new to you, skip the rest of this page and proceed to the [first] chapter. Further [below] is the "Change Log," an abbreviated list of changes.
- The Earth never turned over. This had been suggested by Velikovsky and other, but is an impossible notion. I dispute this and discuss the origins of these notions. Discussed in the file "Polar Relocations."
- The age of the Earth, Mars, and the Moon are exactly what they seem to be. They do not need to be expanded to fit a theory of the single creation of the whole Solar System, as popular science theories have done. Details in Appendix B, "The Celestial Mechanics," based on a discussion in Chapter 2, "Cosmology."
- Saturn probably first entered the Solar System 560 million years ago, before the Cambrian Explosion. The sudden development of new phyla and species could be attributed to a mass expulsion (a nova event) of Saturn. More details in Chapter 3, "Saturn and Evolution."
- All the mass extinctions, and the sudden speciation events which follow these, can be attributed to plasma discharges of Saturn as its orbit repeatedly, and at a regular intervals, brought Saturn to an intersection with the Solar System. Discussed also in Chapter 3, "Saturn and Evolution."
- The Permian extinction is the second to last nova event of Saturn, and occured at a time when Earth was still on an equatorial orbit about Saturn. Earth became a Solar System planet only after the end of the Permian, 250 million years ago. The plant forms of Earth testify to the two distinct environments.
- The glaciation dated 30 million years ago and the intermittent glaciation since 3 million years ago can be blamed on plasma strikes by Saturn, and follows a repeating pattern, but also indicates a great change in Saturn's period. The last intermittent glaciations testify to the capture of the Earth by Saturn. The rise of hominids is discussed in Chapter 4, "The Ice Ages."
- The ubiquitous female figurines found by the millions upon millions worldwide, dating from the Upper Paleolithic and the Neolithic, are representations of Uranus, Neptune, Saturn, and Mars as seen together in the skies overhead, enclosed in a coma. Discussed in Chapter 5, "Saturn and Archaeology."
- The mention in many creation myths of a period of darkness preceding creation can be dated to the early Neolithic or late Upper Paleolithic and is the result of the Earth repeatedly falling into the shadow of Saturn. This also caused the periods of extreme cold. More in Chapter 4, "Ice Ages," with additional retellings in Chapter 18, "The Chilam Balam," and Chapter 22, "The Popol Vu."
- The clouded swirling skies which are found at the start of most creation myths are the result of Earth falling into a subpolar orbit with Saturn, coinciding with the start of the Hypsithermal period, 9500 BC. See Chapter 4, "Ice Ages," for a narrative and a consideration of the dynamics.
- The event of 3147 BC is visually correctly identified by Bible and Sumerian sources if it is assumed that Saturn and its planets passed Jupiter on the outside of Jupiter's orbit (at that time close to the Sun). The current orbital inclinations of the outer planets matches their assumed vertical positions with respect to each other in 3147 BC. Discussed in Appendix B, "The Celestial Mechanics."
- The Palette of Narmer depicts Saturn, Venus, Mars and Uranus, not some battle of unification for prehistoric Egypt. The bee and the sedge, as in "He of the bee and the sedge," is the pharaoh as Saturn. The bee is Venus, the sedge is Uranus. Likewise the "two ladies," the cobra and the vulture, are Venus and Uranus. See Chapter 6, "Creation and the Polar Sun," and Appendix A, "Chronology Notes."
- The raven and dove let out by Noah to test the waters can be identified as the planets Uranus and Venus as seen from Earth directly after 3147 BC.
- The report in the Bible and in Mesopotamian legends (and hundreds of additional flood legends) of a ship landing on a mountain after the flood is the backlighted crescent of Jupiter on top of a massive outpouring of plasma from the south pole of Jupiter. In Egypt, as in some other Mesopotamian retellings of this event, this is understood as an approaching celestial bull, which destroys the city of the Gods.
- The biannual sightings of Mars between 3050 BC and 2750 BC are recorded as events in the dynastic records of the Palermo Stone of Egypt. See Chapter 8, "The Old Kingdom and the Fall of the Absu."
- The orbits of the inner planets have changed only minimally since 3147 BC. Most changes involved altered ellipticity or a rotation of the second nodal point. Planets have to line up exactly with the Sun to result in an electrical interaction of their plasmaspheres.
- The few interactions with Venus (which frequently have been presented as "collisions") occured at distances of 10 to 20 million miles. Interactions with Mars occured at closer distances, but probably no closer than 80,000 to 160,000 miles. The massive and frequent lightning strikes experience by Earth in the 8th and 7th centuries BC were likely from the upper atmosphere rather than traveling through space from a planet. Details in various chapters and Appendix B, "The Celestial Mechanics."
- The orbit of Earth enlarged four times since 3147 BC, in 2349 BC, 2193 BC, 1492 BC, and 747 BC. See Appendix B, "The Celestial Mechanics." Each time the Earth reached a different location from the Sun, it needed to adjust its charge level, and plumes of plasma extended up from the magnetic poles, lasting years. Both the north and the south plumes were seen throughout the world. The ends moved with the rotation of the plasmasphere (magnetosphere), making them look like they were waving in a wind. The people of Mesoamerica called them trees. Egypt and Mesopotamia called them braziers and recorded them in seals and sculptures.
- The Earth had equatorial rings (like all other planets with a magnetic field), called the Absu in Sumer and the Duat in Egypt, until 2349 BC. Discussed in a number places, including Chapter 5, "Archaeology," Chapter 8, "The Old Kingdom," and Chapter 9, "The Career of Jupiter." The 'Flood of Noah' consisted of the sudden removal of the equatorial rings, and was accompanied by severe storms and rains. The Egyptian 'doorway to the other world' is the shadow of Earth cast on the equatorial rings, the Duat.
- The Moon appeared near Earth after 2349 BC, when the Earth's orbit increased, but did not fall into a regular orbit shared with Earth until about 2280 BC. The legendary emperors (gods) of China, Yao and Shun, are Jupiter and the Moon. Likewise for Abraham and Isaac, as perhaps for Gilgamesh and Enkidu in their later adventures.
- While Jupiter was in the asteroid belt, the mountain form of the lower plasma disappeared. Instead the plasma from Jupiter's south pole extended directly left and right to the asteroids, in a form called the 'shen' in Egypt. See Chapter 9, "The Career of Jupiter." Jupiter's coma tripled in size in about 2350 BC, as it left the asteroid belt, but eventually reduced to the visual size of the Moon by about 2250 BC. Jupiter at that time flared up and extinguished.
- The Bible identifies the flareup of Jupiter as the 'Tower of Babel' event. The story is worldwide. The date is correctly identified by Chinese and Maya sources as ca 2247 BC.
- The Olmec Long Count calendar was instituted on February 28, 747 BC (astronomical year -747), the day after the start of the Babylonian 'Era of Nabonasser,' and the day before the start of the new Roman calendar. The Olmecs added 2400 Tuns (years of 360 days) to account for the past history in solar years, resulting in a Long Count notation starting at 22.214.171.124.0. Discussed in Chapter 15, "The Maya Calendar."
- As a result of instituting the Long Count in 747 BC, the Maya/Olmec creation date of 3147 BC is accurate as the date for the terminal event of the polar alignment of Saturn -- in solar years. Our date of 3114 BC is based on a year of 365.24 days. Later retrocalculations by the Maya also used a year of 365.24 days.
- The Venus Tablets of Ammizaduga are correctly dated to the period of 689 BC to 667 BC (in eastern Mediterranean chronology). Information in Chapter 11, "The Death of Quetzalcoatl."
- Venus and Mercury blazed like suns in 685 BC for 40 days, probably as the result of an unprecedented output by the Sun. This electrical event changed the inclination of the Earth's axis. A thunderbolt from Jupiter which landed at the Sun on July 25, 685 BC (Gregorian) brought the blazing of Venus and Mercury to an end. This is what is recounted in the legend of Phaethon. The calendar dates and intervals are recorded by the "Chilam Balam" and are celebrated in Mesoamerican site alignments.
- In 685 BC the Earth's axis relocated from the center of the pan of Ursa Major to a location nearer Kochab in Ursa Minor over a period of 40 days. Discussed in Chapter 12, "Modern History."
- Before 685 BC, the intersection of the equatorial and the ecliptic was directly below the Pleiades. Thus the Pleiades were seen directly above the rising Sun at the equinox. This is attested to worldwide, and matches retrocalculations for the previous location of the Earth's rotational axis. There was no precession of the equinoxes before 685 BC.
- In 685 BC the equinox moved about 15 days into the future. This did not change the length of the year, but it changed religious feastdays worldwide. The inclination of the Earth's axis assumed the current value of 23.5 degrees.
- The last part of Book Five of the "Sibylline Oracle Books" (of AD 115) accurately recounts the changes in the sky in 685 BC. Details in Chaper 13, "The Sibylline Star Wars."
- The alignments of ceremonial centers with distant volcanoes, in the Olmec region and the Valley of Mexico, accurately recall the dates (the horizon locations of the setting Sun) of the catastrophic events of 2349 BC, 1492 BC, 747 BC, and the axial change of 685 BC. See Chapter 18, "Olmec Alignments."
In March 2005 I had thought that this site had mostly reached completion, but it has been under constant minor edits, and at times prone to sudden inspirational revisions. Considerable material has been added. (Some items listed as 'chapters' below are called 'appendices' and after August 2009 reverted to being labeled as 'chapters' again.)
New material is usually a simple inspiration which clarifies or substantiates statements which had previously been covered with hand-waving phrases like, "probably" and "seems likely," but also includes things I hadn't had time to think about earlier, plus rephrasings, concept corrections, and a few new data points.
Additionally, my editor Claudia George has stopped me at every mangled sentence, questioned each loosely tossed factoid, tripped me repeatedly on logic, forced me to explain every technical term ("Perihelion, what's that?"), and had me date every event from the remote past. And she can spell.
Changes and addition over the course of four years since March 2005, listing only the last two years, are listed below.
.. highlights for the last few years..
In January 2007 I was looking through the records of the Palermo Stone, a partial Egyptian yearly record of the dynasties up to the fifth, 3050 BC to 2550 BC, for indications of travels of Mars across the Earth's orbit.
In February 2007 I traced Jupiter's travels through the asteroid belt and beyond, and matching this to its reputation up to 2200 BC.
In June 2007 I wrote up the implications of the shifts in climatic zones suggested by the Hypsithermal period.
As of September, 2007, I started to change statements and diagrams about orbital interactions, since electrical effect could fully account for all the changes in the orbits.
Late in November, 2007, I calculated the earlier perihelion and aphelion of Earth and Venus, and needed to correct what I said about non-overlapping orbits.
In December, 2007, I finally localized the Earth shock of 686 BC as March 23, 686 BC, and due to Mercury. At the same time I suddenly became aware of the date of the thunderbolt of Zeus in 685 BC which the Maya "Chilam Balam" claims as July 25, Gregorian.
In January, 2008, I started to look at alignments of Mesoamerican ceremonial centers. The Olmecs were clearly aware of the Earth shock of April 19, 1492 BC (Exodus) and February 28, 747 BC. Both show up clearly, first in the earliest alignments. All later (Classical era) site alignments recognize these two dates plus the alignment for July 25, 685 BC, or the equivalent horizon location of August 12. Although I had already determined these dates, or their approximations, from other sources, I was still surprised to find them recorded accurately in Mesoamerica. I adapted a QBasic computer program to resolve azimuth horizon angles of sunsets and sunrises as a function of calendar dates, axial alignment, and latitude.
In March 2008, thanks to many other sources, I started to collate information on the 'flood of Noah' event in terms of the mechanics and dating. I could substantiate the related fall Pleiades festivals, noted in Mo Mandelkehr's book, from Mesoamerican alignments, and the date of the 'Flood of Noah.'
I have added the "return of the axis mundi," directly after 3147, 2349, and 1492 BC. Milton Zysman suggested this in 1994 as an extended Aurora, but it more likely to represent a plasma plume.
In April 2008, I finally caught up with Anthony Peratt's second paper on the High-Current Z-Pinch Aurora in antiquity (published August 2007). This has been incorporated into the chapter on Archaeology. Although details are lacking and dates are fuzzy and inconclusive, the information comfortably fits the chronology based on archaeology which I had developed earlier. Both the "Chilam Balam" and the "Popol Vu" recall this period, as do Vedic, Sumerian, and a number of European sources.
In April 2008, I resolved the starting date of the 685 BC Venus nova event from information of the "Popol Vu" and mention of the time span in the "Chilam Balam," and collated this with Valley of Mexico site alignments. The "Sibylline Star Wars" text suddenly fell into place correctly.
In April, also, I managed to move the date of the 30 degree inclination of Earth to before 2349 BC. This too, is totally obvious from the information standing right in front of us.
In May, 2008, I started to determine the orbital periods of Venus and the validity of the 52 year Venus cycle, and traced the periods of the Mesoamerican 'may' from 2349 BC to the time of the Spanish invasion.
The remainder of Book 11 of the "Chilam Balam" started to fall into place in September, 2008. I had been working on this for months. Book 11 is the most obscure and opaque text I have ever encountered. But slowly the revelation came that this was a retelling of the 'first creation' of the Maya. The sequence of events can be followed, in fact, from the cup and tail sightings of before 30,000 years ago, through the other celestial aspects which I had already traced in the European Upper Paleolithic (in the chapter on Archaeology), plus the information from the sighting of the Peratt Column after 8347 BC, up to the nova event of Saturn in ca 4200 BC.
It is, of course, astounding to think that an American Indian tribe possessed graphic records of events in the sky which spanned 30,000 or 40,000 years. But the source-books are mentioned in the "Popol Vu" also, and the 1500 year period of 10,500 to 9,000 BC is described extensively.
In December 2008 I again thought I was finished, having completed an analysis of the "Popol Vu." However, the worldwide occurrence of the "celestial twins" only became comprehensible late in December, and required a few paragraphs to be added to two chapters.
In April of 2009, I realized that the use of 3080 BC, a date reflecting corrections of retrocalculated dates, was not legitimate as an ending date for the "Age of the Gods," and the date of 3147 BC should be used. Recalculating the tabulation of the Kings of Kish, in Appendix A, "Chronology Notes," resulted in a better fit of the data with other archaeological data. The date of 3147 BC represents the date of 747 BC less 6 Baktuns of 400 years.
As a result some dates in introductory chapters needed to be changed, as well as the estimates of the table for the location of Jupiter in Chapter 9, "The Career of Jupiter."
In July of 2009 I finally realized what the Maya were talking about when they inscribed on many stelae what they had gleaned from their books, that..
"And then the past epoch ended. On 4-Ahau 8-Cumku [August 13, 3114 BC], 13 Baktuns were completed."
"On 4-Ahau 8-Cumku, was (first) seen the image of the turtle."
In the philosophy of the Maya, all events cycled through periods of time, so that the event of 126.96.36.199.0 was equivalent to the event of 0.0.0.0.0 -- 5200 years earlier, in 8347 BC. In fact, the date of 3114 BC, for when "the epoch ended," was added to the inscription above by an archaeologist, whereas the inscription, in that it recounts the image of the turtle, was probably meant to designate the "first creation," the year 8347 BC -- 0.0.0.0.0 on the Long Count, rather than 188.8.131.52.0.
That the predecessors of the Maya (and Olmecs) had kept tallies of years since that time, and much earlier, is certain from the contents of the "Chilam Balam" and clear from the "Popol Vu". This sets the date for the first appearance of the Peratt column of the south.
In November of 2009, I finally realized that Mercury had occupied a position between Saturn and Mars in the "Age of the Gods." This would account for the fifth planet of the "Popol Vu," the planet behind Mars which Talbott thought to be Venus, and the close orbital association of Mars and Mercury after 3050 BC and still in the 8th and 7th century BC. This also accounts for the lower double bulges depicted in figurines during the Upper Paleolithic of approximately 17,000 to 14,000 years ago.
That completes 8 years of investigations, writings and rewritings. I apologize to the readers of this document for the changes which kept happening (although most of them involve small details which keep falling into place and go to prove the validity of the overall narrative), and the fact that often it takes weeks to get texts updated.
.. monthly highlights for 2009 ..
- In January 2009:
- - South plasmoids differentiated, Popol Vu chapter.
- In February 2009:
- - "first creation" dates, Olmec Record appendix;
- Pleiades settings added, Alignments appendix.
- In March 2009:
- - twins of Mithra, History chapter;
- Dennis Cox's landforms added, Mechanics appendix.
- In April 2009:
- - extinction of mega fauna, Ice Age chapter;
- Unas wades in blood and gore, Jupiter chapter;
- Lascaux claviform notes, Archaeology chapter.
- In May 2009:
- - polar plumes described by NASA, Gilgamesh chapter;
- added Earth compression marks, Mechanics appendix.
- In June 2009:
- - "Shih Chi" search for islands, Archaeology chapter;
- "Kojiki" first plasmoids created, Archaeology chapter;
- 3x3 calculating board, Olmec Record appendix;
- couplet kenning in Chilam Balam, Olmec Record appendix.
- In July 2009:
- - Appearance of the turtle, Archaeology chapter;
- The face in the south, Archaeology chapter.
- In August 2009:
- - A cause for cessation of forces, Mechanics appendix;
- God speaks of the measuring lines, Archaeology chapter;
- Van Allen belts, the celestial cow, Gilgamesh chapter.
- In September 2009:
- - the Nine Bows identified, Gilgamesh chapter.
- In October 2009:
- - Contending of Horus details, Gilgamesh chapter;
- Horus as first God, Polar Sun chapter.
- In November 2009:
- - Mercury as Phaethon, Quetzalcoatl chapter;
- the Great Year, Sibylline Star Wars chapter.
- In October 2009:
- - Mercury below Saturn, Archaeology chapter;
- Mercury as the egg, Archaeology chapter.
- In December 2009:
- - Barrows and henges updated, Gilgamesh chapter;
- movement of Mars, Gilgamesh chapter;
- day of Kan for 2349 BC, Chilam chapter;
- Ammizaduga sorted out, Quetzalcoatl chapter.
- In January 2010:
- - The Thirteen redefined, Chilam Balam chapter;
- new script for monthly stats;
- count of Jupiter's satellites, Chilam Balam chapter;
- Pleiades for 100 BC, Olmec chapter.
To Do Yet
Every now and then I run into items which require corrections or additions to many chapters. That takes time, and, just to incorporate changes early, I will up-load pages of this website before the additions are complete. The following is a list of changes which are still to be completed.
- Mercury contact in Mexico: calculate angle.
- Mercury as the fifth planet, Popol Vu and Chilam Balam.
- Hesiod's mention of a thunderbolt from Zeus.
- Ron Wilcox: dates and excarnation floors.
- Precession notes via Uwe Topper.
- Mars's dried up oceans via R Smith.
See for example the following websites..
- "Electric Universe" of Wal Thornhill at [http://www.holoscience.com/]
- Don Scott's explanation of plasma theories at [http://www.electric-cosmos.org/indexOLD.htm] and his book "The Electric Sky" (2006).
- The work of David Talbott (with Wallace Thornhill and others), including the book "Thunderbolts of the Gods" (2005), at [http://www.thunderbolts.info]. A second book by the same authors, "The Electric Universe" (2007), is more specific and does a much better job of presenting galactic, solar, and planetary plasma.
- See the site 'thunderbolts' site at [http://www.thunderbolts.info] for an amazing series of daily images and comments, mostly dealing with outer space, but at times including some mythological themes. A brief rundown of Talbott's 'Saturn Theory' in included among essays. There is also an open blog with discussion ranging from the well-informed to the inane and also mostly concerned with contemporary astronomy, from the standpoint of interstellar plasma.
Specific to plasma theory are the following..
- The site of the astronomer Halton Arp at [http://www.haltonarp.com/]
- Material by Anthony Peratt of Experimental Programs at Los Alamos National Laboratory, at [http://public.lanl.gov/alp/plasma/TheUniverse.html]
- An extensive collection on plasma theory, developed and maintained as a Wiki site by Ian Tresman of SIS, at [http://www.plasma-universe.com]
- The most readable synopsis of the elements of plasma theory is the website, [http://www.plasmacosmology.net] -- a very extensive site, written in a summary, easy to read, style. The descriptions including some catastrophism and mythology.
- Another site equal in scope and general interest, [http://www.plasmaresources.com] - run by David Smith, AU.
- A very readable overview which generally cuts across the handed-down 'science' to zero in on essentials: See [http://sites.google.com/site/cosmologyquest/default] by Michael Suede.
The date, 2349 BC, as with other dates in the text, was established by medieval and 16th century chronographers, and seems to be well supported from other data not available to them, as is true for other dates I have used. See Appendix A, "Notes on Chronology."
Date estimates in the Upper Paleolithic and Neolithic were developed from the iconography of figurines in Europe and Anatolia, and from corresponding climate data. See Chapter 5, "Saturn and Archaeology."
[return to text]
The concept of subjective consciousness was developed by Julian Jaynes in "The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind" (1976). Subjective consciousness involves the ability to recognize yourself as seen by others -- an analog 'I' -- which is internalized and placed into the space of the imagination. This represented a new mental space based on a metaphorical displacement of the self, and had not been seen before about 1500 or 1000 BC. (The 'space' suggested here is a concept predominently defined in Indo-European languages. People in cultures based in other dominant languages have formed other equivalent solutions.)
You can look through the 'eyes' of this substitute 'I' or even observe yourself from afar in your mind. Biologically it involves separation of volition and consciousness in the speech centers of the brain. 'Memory' and 'self-awareness' are not subjective consciousness. All animals have memories, all animals are aware of themself.
Some people never achieve subjective consciousness, yet they appear fully functional. Pre-conscious people are almost indistinguishable from subjectively conscious people. Pre-subjectivly-conscious people can learn anything, including mathematics, and certainly they can joke, have emotions, and carry on convoluted dialogues with each other. However, they rely heavily on the learned admonitions of parents and authority figures ('oughts' and 'shoulds') and have difficulty with novel situations. Pre-conscious humans do not have the ability to imagine the thinking of others, especially reflectively, that is, how others might imagine them as thinking.
The concepts are more fully developed on the text pages.
[return to text]
Day of the month dates for the events of 685 BC are accurately recorded in the 16th century AD Maya "Chilam Balam" as intervals. Knowing the terminal date from other sources, the starting date can be found. See Chapter 15, "The Maya Calendar," Chapter 16, "The Chilam Balam books," and Chapter 17, "The Olmec Record."
[return to text]
Special thanks to M Signatur for suggesting the expanded synopsis.
Special thanks to N Rothstein for word editing.
SOLAR FLARES: On Jan. 19th at 1340 UT, Earth-orbiting satellites detected the strongest solar flare in almost two years. The M2-class eruption came from old sunspot 1039 behind the sun's eastern limb. NASA's STEREO-B spacecraft recorded this extreme ultraviolet movie of the blast:
Considering the fact that the sunspot was not even visible from Earth at the time, the flare was probably much stronger than its M2 classification would suggest. This active region has produced at least four significant eruptions since Jan. 17th (including this notable flare) and it is showing no signs of cooling off.
Today, for the first time since the fireworks began, the active region is visible from Earth. It is emerging over the sun's southeastern limb as shown here. Readers with solar telescopes are encouraged to monitor developments.
IONOSPHERIC DISTURBANCE: Yesterday's M2-class solar flare bathed Earth's upper atmosphere in X-rays and caused a wave of ionization to sweep over Europe. This actually improved the propagation of low-frequency radio signals, which use the ionosphere as a reflector to skip over the horizon. A SID monitor operated by Rudolf Slosiar in Bojnice, Slovakia, recorded the surge in signal strength:
"SID" stands for Sudden Ionospheric Disturbance, and a "SID monitor" is a radio receiver that monitors ~20 kHz signals from distant transmitters. "My system clearly detected the effects of the solar flare," says Slosiar. "The decay of the signal shows that it took about 72 minutes for the ionosphere to recombine [and relax to its pre-flare state]."
With solar activity on the rise, sudden ionospheric disturbances will become more common. Interested? Stanford University tells you how to build your own SID monitor.
A powerful new earthquake struck Haiti on Wednesday, shaking rubble from damaged buildings and sending screaming people running into the streets only eight days after the country's capital was devastated by an apocalyptic quake. The magnitude-6.1 temblor was the largest aftershock yet to the Jan. 12 quake. The extent of additional damage or injuries was not immediately clear. Wails of terror rose from frightened survivors as the earth shuddered at 6:03 a.m. U.S. soldiers and tent city refugees alike raced for open ground, and clouds of dust rose in the capital. The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake was centered about 35 miles (60 kilometers) northwest of Port-au-Prince and 6.2 miles (9.9 kilometers) below the surface. "It kind of felt like standing on a board on top of a ball," said U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Steven Payne. The 27-year-old from Jolo, West Virginia was preparing to hand out food to refugees in a tent camp of 25,000 quake victims when the aftershock hit.
Yellowstone National Park has been rattled by more than 250 earthquakes in the past two days following a period of 11 months of quiet seismic activity in the park. The quakes have been gaining strength, with a 3.1 tremor recorded at 11:03 a.m. today. A 2.9 quake was recorded at 12:38 p.m. Prof. Robert B. Smith, a geophysicist at the University of Utah and one of the leading experts on earthquake and volcanic activity at Yellowstone, said that the activity is a "notable swarm." "The swarm is located about 10 miles northwest of Old Faithful, Wyo., and nine miles southeast of West Yellowstone, Montana," said Smith. Jamie Farrell, a doctoral student in geophysics who works with Smith at the University of Utah, said that as of 3 p.m. today, 270 quakes have been recorded in the past two days. Farrell said the quakes are occurring in an area about 5 miles from where the largest swarm of quakes was ever recorded in October 1985. Quakes in the current swarm have ranged in magnitude of 0.5 to 3.1.
A strange comet-like object discovered on January 6, 2010 may actually be the result of a collision between two asteroids. Lincoln Near-Earth Asteroid Research (LINEAR) sky survey in New Mexico spotted an object in the asteroid belt, called P/2010 A that looked "fuzzy," with a tail like a comet rather than a speck of light like a normal asteroid. But comets don't normally reside in the asteroid belt, and the object's orbit is all wrong for a comet. While the asteroid belt is made up of debris from the "leftovers" of our solar system, and like the remains of early crashes between giant rocks, astronomers haven't witnessed a collision before.
Click to continue…